When an employee is ill:
- The first 33 days of absence - paid by the employer. Employer pays salary (reduced depending on the exact reason for absence according to the rules below).
- 34-th day of absence and following days - paid by ZUS (insurance). ZUS starts to pay "sickness allowance" (pl: "zasiłek chorobowy").
Depending on the exact reason for absence, the employee receives:
- if it's a disease, that does not require hospitalization - both employer and ZUS (insurance) pays 80% of gross salary,
- hospitalization - employer pays 80% of gross salary for the first 33 days. After that period ZUS starts to pay sickness allowance of 70% of gross salary,
- pregnancy, occupational disease, accident at work or on the way to work - 100% of gross salary.