Calculator of the earnings in Poland during illness.
- When an employee is ill:
- The first 33 days of absence - paid by the employer. Employer pays salary (reduced depending on the exact reason for absence according to the rules below).
- 34-th day of absence and following days - paid by ZUS (insurance). ZUS starts to pay "sickness allowance" (pl: "zasiłek chorobowy").
- Calculation basis for earnings during sickness is ross earnings reduced by social security contributions. As of the time of writing this text (December 2017) these contributions amounted to 13.71%:
- retirement contribution - 9.76%,
- disability insurance - 1.5%,
- sickness insurance - 2.45%.
- Depending on the exact reason for absence, the employee receives:
- if it's a disease, that does not require hospitalization - both employer and ZUS (insurance) pays 80% of basis,
- hospitalization - employer pays 80% of basis for the first 33 days. After that period ZUS starts to pay sickness allowance of 70% of basis,
- pregnancy, occupational disease, accident at work or on the way to work - 100% of basis.
ⓘ Example: Our gross salary is 2500 PLN
. We're ill and stay on the medical discharge (polish: L4) during 10 days
. Then, our earnings during sickness are:
- calculation basis = gross earnings - ZUSsocial = 2500 PLN - (2500 PLN × 13.71%) = 2157.25 PLN
- earnings during 1 day of illness = basis × 80% / 30 = 2157.25 PLN × 80% / 30 = 57.52 PLN
- earnings during 10 days of illness = earnings during 1 day of illness × 10 = 57.52 PLN × 10 = 575.20 PLN
- The calculator works according to the rules that have been in effect since 2003.01.01. Before that date, the employer's pay period was 35 days. From that day it is 33 days. There are discussions about shortening this period even to 14 days.
- Since 2009.02.01 there is an additional rule: the pay period of the employer is only 14 days if employee is 50 years old or more. After this period ZUS (insurance) starts to pay sickness allowance. Unfortunately, this calculator does not consider this rule.
We periodically review rules for calculating earnings during illness and related social security contributions (polish: ZUS), so that our data is always up-to-date.
Recent compliance with the regulations was confirmed on 2017.11.30.
If you want to be 100% sure after this date - check if the rates or calculation rules have not changed.
Tags and links to this website
Tags to Polish version:
This is permalink. Permalink is the link containing your input data. Just copy it and share your work with friends:
Links to external sites (leaving Calculla?)
Ancient version of this site - links
"Calculla v1" version of this calculatorIn December 2016 the Calculla website has been republished using new technologies and all calculators have been rewritten. Old version of the Calculla is still available through this link: v1.calculla.com. We left the version 1 of Calculla untouched for archival purposes.
Direct link to the old version: